Sunday, May 10, 2009

London Tales 1 - Days of a Cooped Up Worker

3 weeks came and went just like that.

No drama, no nightmares, just plain ol hard work, slogging under harsh sun and biting cold.

Everything turned out well and I'm surprised to say I actually enjoyed the london trip.

3 weeks of self dependence and away from my own reality - god I sure loved every bit of it!

My stint as coordinator for the hawkers was pretty fun - we took care of each other and it sure beats facing bitch of a client at such a pretty picturesque setting. At some points they even felt like family coz I spend more time with them than with my colleagues.



So on a daily basis, my day goes by like this:

7.00am Wake up, cursing, swearing and shivering

7.30am Breakfast: sandwich, noodles, fruits, milk, cereal, coffee and maybe yoghurt

8.30am Take 3-min drive to work site. More nap time!

8.45am Drink more coffee (cant imagine that instant coffee is a luxury item over here)

9.00am Drive buggy, distribute ingredients and supplies, get young energetic ang moh bangras to do their macho stuff

10.30am Ensure coffee break items are replenished and workers get their coffee fix

12.00pm Lunch: Rice with curry (on good days). On bad days, we get rojak char mee.

1.30pm Walk around site, visit hawker stalls to ensure kitchen equipment is up and running,
carry more stuff, check on graphics installation, try to hijack a buggy so I can zip around to deliver stuffs

6.00pm Debrief

6.30pm Dinner (More rice, more bland veggies, more grevieances)

6.35pm Drink coffee and admire the dusk (this is my fav part of the day when all work stops and veryone clears out the field. The surrealness and grandeur of the open field is indescribable. *Cue in music*)

7.00pm Get real freakin cold and would start swearing again and wana go home

8.00pm Settled back at home

8.30pm Supper (can be anything we can lay hands on: noodles, fruits, yoghurt, chocolate, chips, biscuits, beer etc)

12.00am Sleeeeeeeeeeep


Imagine my life ran like clockwork as above for 2 weeks.
I finally get the meaning of urban city life and suburbs.
We didn't even get to see Central London in proper till after 2 weeks there. Dont even get me started on London's sights - NONE!! I saw NONE!! Unbelieveable!


Pictures and more stories in next entry ...sooon...sooon...

No comments: